How to choose best shoes for flat feet
Are you worried about the thought that you have flat feet? Do your regular shoes feel sore to you? It is the right time that you consider about changing your shoes. The article gives you the necessary information to understand about flat feet, its anatomy, and the importance of selecting the best shoes for flat feet.
Pes Planus is the medical term for the fallen arch or the common deformity in the feet. The characterization is according to the occurrence of the fallen arch. There is nothing wrong in possessing flat feet. In fact, every human being has flat feet when he/she is born. The development of the arch occurs through the development stage. However, with excessive use of the shoes, the development ceases and causes either flexible or inflexible flat feet.
Anatomy of the flat feet
The etiology of the feet is a complex structure due to the presence of the bones, the ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Ligaments hold and connect two adjoining bones firmly. On the other hand, the tendons attach the bones to the muscles. The tendons and the ligaments are matters of fibers called as the collagen.
Of all the tendons, the Achilles’ Tendon has a primary role. It is responsible for running and walking activities. The Achilles’ Tendon forms as the bridge that connects the heel bones to the calf muscles, which results in the rising action of the toes. The posterior tibial tendon is responsible for joining the calf muscles with that of the base of the foot. When there is damage to this tendon, complications arise, and the individual experiences the condition of pes planus. In simple terminology, weak or failed ligaments result in the occurrence of flat feet.
What to look for in shoes for flat feet
According to estimation, around 20% of the population has flat feet. The ratio highlights the profitability that shoemakers have when it comes to targeting the flat feet audience. Today, the presence of different models of the shoes is narrowing the gap between the availability of the right models for flat feet audience. The shoemakers, who possess complete knowledge about flat feet, are offering shoes that provide stability, comfort, and soothing experience. The important requirements to consider while searching for flat feet shoes are:
- Arch support: Arch in the foot acts as shock absorbers. They are responsible for balancing the weight of the body and absorbing the shocks that generate while running or walking. Due to the absence of arch in the foot, the weight falls on tendons, causing severe damage. The arch support acts as an artificial support that helps in distributing the weight evenly.
- Raised insoles: The raised insoles in the shoes work as artificial footrest providing the needed support to the flat feet. Higher insoles provide support to the middle segment of the flat feet that benefit in adjusting the posture of the flat feet.
- Medical Orthotics: Medical orthotics are equipment that raises the middle segment of the flat feet forming the artificial cushioning curvature found in the normal feet.
The types of shoes
The two important types of shoes are:
- Stability control shoes: The specially designed shoes offer stability control to flat feet. The shoes have foam lining that provides the cushioning effect of the arch region. The addition of the cushioning foam gives added support to the sensitive part that creates a comfortable atmosphere to accommodate the low arch structure of the feet.
- Motion control shoes: Motion control shoes are beneficial for runners with flat feet. The support provided by the shoes are to the sides of the arch of the feet that results in delivering a comfortable experience while running or walking for an extended period of time.
Before searching for the shoes, it is necessary to understand the size and shape of the feet. Obtaining the physical aspect of the feet will be helpful in ascertaining the shoes that offer comfortability. The various types of shoes that are available in the market are:
- Cross-training shoes – the shoes are useful in creating a balance between walking and running activities. They offer support and comfortability to the side-to-side movement of the feet. The running shoes focus was in supporting the forward motion that does not complement the anatomy of the flat foot. It results in severe aching and soreness.
- Tennis shoes – these shoes have a similar mechanism as that of the cross-training shoes. It is important to understand the fact that flat feet adhere to increased stress due to the absence of the arch curve. The arch aid provided in the tennis shoes act as artificial shock absorber.
- Running shoes – individuals with flat feet experience tendon damage and stretching due to the sensitive nature of the feet. Therefore, it is important to select a model that offers support according to the smoothness and ruggedness of the terrain.
- Trail running shoes – these shoes are especially suitable for off-road walking and running with reduced pain. These shoes provide protection and stability to the bottom of the feet with the help of the outsoles.
- Road running shoes – these shoes are suitable for irregular hard surfaces. The shoes contain specially designed a cushion that provides stability when there is an increase in the pressure while running on a rigid surface.
- Walking shoes – it is important to select the walking shoes that offer stability and motion control apart from providing support to the low arch.
Essential steps while buying shoes for flat feet
Selecting an appropriate shoe that provides support, comfort, and stability is important to reduce the pain and negative symptoms associated with flat feet.
The following are the important steps that will be helpful while searching for flat feet shoes.
- Shop late in a day – it is advisable to go shopping for the shoes later in the day as the research studies suggest that people suffering from flat feet experience swelling during the day. The swelling of the feet will pose as a hindrance in acquiring details about the size and the shape of the feet.
- Warm up session – wearing shoes at home before heading for a run is advisable to understand the response of the feet due to the stretching and strenuous exercise. If there are blisters or redness, it is time to change the shoes.
- Thumb space – it is important to leave one space between the big toe and the shoe. The gap will provide enough room for the flat feet to adjust during jogging and running activities.
By gaining knowledge of flat feet, choosing appropriate shoes becomes easy. Women will have to reconsider the shoes and the sandals they select. Inappropriate selection leads to unhealthy foot health, resulting in the development of spinal problems. The tips and the procedure explained above will give you the opportunity to select the best running shoes suitable according to the size and shape of your flat feet. You can also consider choosing the best insoles for flat feet depending on flat feet type. It is equally important to walk, jog, or run carefully to improve the stability and posture by using the right shoes for flat feet.